Computer and Internet Policy
- The public access computers are available to all library patrons. These computers may be used for the catalog, word processing, spreadsheets, desktop publishing, internet, and games.
- The library reserves the right to terminate a person’s use of the computer if problems such as excessive noise, altering configurations, or physical abuse of equipment occurs.
- The library may charge the person using the equipment for damage resulting from abusive use. If the user is a minor, parents or guardians will be held responsible for damages.
- Reserve time may be scheduled for a two hour time block. Exceptions for academic (school related) may be made with prior staff approval. Reservations in person or by telephone are acceptable. Reservations are accepted only one day in advance. Users may sign only once each day. Staff must diligently enforce same.
- Patrons who reserve the computer must arrive no later than five (5) minutes past their scheduled time or the reservation will be cancelled.
- The charge for printing will be 15 cents a page for black/white and 50 cents per page for color. Printing will be done by the staff at the end of the patrons computer session. Payment is due when printing is completed.
- The computers will be shut down fifteen (15) minutes before the library closes.
Robey Memorial Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. We cannot refuse access to Internet content that someone else may deem objectionable. As with other library materials, restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian.
Use of the library’s Internet resources for illegal or unethical purposes is prohibited.
The staff of Robey Memorial Library has priority for use of the Internet access computers.
- Patrons using the Internet access computer should be computer knowledgeable. The library staff is not responsible for instruction.
- Internet access may not be used for any unlawful activity or purpose. Use of the Internet to access or process pornographic material is prohibited. One warning may be given. Repeat or unlawful activity will result in loss of computer privileges.
- Users are forbidden from using library computers for unauthorized access, modification, hacking, cracking, and other unlawful activities, including but not limited to accessing library and other networks.
- Since computers are located in public areas, security and privacy of material is difficult to achieve. As a result, the library cannot guarantee privacy or confidentiality.
- Patrons using Internet sites that are disruptive or distracting to library operations will be asked to leave the distracting site.
- Privileges will be taken away if this policy is not obeyed. Use of the computers will be denied for one month. Repeat offenders may be denied access for six (6) months or longer.
- The patron agrees to obey all applicable laws regarding copyright or licensing.
Adopted September, 1998
Reviewed April, 2004
Reviewed August, 2006
Adopted February, 1997
Reviewed March, 2000
Reviewed April, 2004
Reviewed September, 2006
Revised April, 2011
Reviewed April, 2014
Revised July, 2014
Reviewed March, 2017
Revised December, 2017